Lily problem

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Lily problem

Postby northpine » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:32 pm

A friend of my DD sent me a photo of a problem with her lilies. She took the picture with her phone so it's not that clear.
She thinks it is slugs, but I've never had slugs touch my lilies. I'm assuming it's those big brown blobs hanging on the foliage that have done all this damage. Could this be the dreaded lily beetle grub? She is a new gardener and is quite upset by this. She gardens in Wpg. I hope someone can help her. She just described them as dark brown and slimy.
northpine

Re: Lily problem

Postby davefrombc » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Those brown blobs look like slugs, or maybe snails to me .. They will eat lilies and nearly any other plant the come into contact with .
Slugs are a major problem here .
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby BBQ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:36 am

I wishI could say for sure - but it sure looks like red lily beetle damage to me. I no longer grow lilies. The brown blobs I think are the offspring covered in poop! Neat trick for the lily beetle.
I hope I'm wrong and someone jumps in with another alternative. The trouble is they're so darned hard to get rid of. It's no longer possible to buy the chemical that used to be effective in killing them.
Smitty - in PLAP - is able to control them with King's Potato Dust, and she may have more information on getting hold of that.

~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby Lulu » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:53 am

Brenda, you are bang on!

That is RLB damage and the brown blobs are indeed the young, disguised in the excrement! I still have some King Potato Dust to control them, because my inlaws sent me several containers from Quebec; their ban was a year later than ours. Vesey's did advertise their own KPD, but no longer see it. They do advertise Biological Insecticide, but, not sure if it'd work on RLB.

Lots of folks on here have had success with regular baby powder; might be worth a try?

Edited to say; just went to Vessey's website, and they have this, with a note, stating it cannot be shipped to Ontario:
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/tools ... bug#closed
King Bug Killer®
Veseys Home » Store » Tools & Supplies » Pest Controls » King Bug Killer®
Image of King Bug Killer®View Larger Image

Additional Image of King Bug Killer®
Lulu

Postby northpine » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 am

Thank you all. I've sent her the bad news. I feel sorry for her as a new gardener having this problem. I'm encouraging her to enjoy the rest of her garden instead.
So far the lily beetle hasn't made it into this area, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
northpine

Postby northpine » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 am

Lulu, I can't find the link as to how to use the baby powder. I remember reading about it, but didn't pay close attention as I don't have the issue.
Now I feel even worse for her; she made the garden in memory of her mom who loved lilies. She is trying hard to save them.
Is it a matter of picking off the beetles and larva, then dusting? Is it preventative only?
northpine

Postby davefrombc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:05 am

Fortunately I've never seen those beetles out here. From the search I did on them, it seems there's no natural predator for them in North America ( they're an European pest that came over around 1945) , and really not much of an effective insecticide that Ontario allows in . I came up with this site. http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/newe ... 17914.html It has some recommended treatments at the bottom of the article... You might try a home brew toxic spray to try.. Get some cigarette butts from a smoker and soak them in water for a couple of days to extract the nicotine... Use the nicotine laced water to make up some insecticidal soap/oil spray to use on the beetles and larvae... Try a little on one plant only to make sure the spray won't harm the lilies itself .
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby Lulu » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 am

Never known anything else but the king potato dust to work!

She can pick them off, but, since they overwinter in the ground, not sure if she can ever beat them! Since she really wants to save the lillies, I'd try Dave's suggestion and the baby powder.

If I remember, the powder had to contain talc, and it was just a matter of cleaning then coating the plants, and repeating after a rain. Didn't ever try it, cuz I have a stockpile of KPD.
Lulu

Postby Lulu » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Googled it, and found the original post from Lyn, and all the responses: hope the links work; the CG one doesn't look right on the preview? Help, Dave!

http://plantlilies.com/Lily-Leaf-Beetle.html

http://www.canadiangardening.com/forum/ ... 07f55f68c5
Lulu

Postby northpine » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:24 am

Thank you Lulu. The CG link worked just fine. That was the discussion I was trying to find for her. I'll send it to her and she can decide how she wants to proceed.
northpine

Next

Return to Insect/Weed Control