Spraying for Spiders

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Spraying for Spiders

Postby soccermomof3 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:49 am

I'm looking to get people's thoughts on spraying for spiders. Do you do this? We live on an acre on a pond, which separates us from Lake Ontario. We get tons of spiders. Up until now, I have not let my husband get the company in to do this, and he has been manually removing the webs from the house periodically. However, he tells me he is getting too old for this, as it is hard on his shoulders. At one point, I contacted a company which said they use a safe product (derived from chrysanthemums, if my memory serves me correctly), which will just stick to the house. I read up on what they used. I came across info that said it could be harmful to fish. I am sceptical that rain will not wash some of this down into the pond, and also just feel bad about setting out to harm part of mother nature, even if spiders do creep me out. (Although I have gotten a lot less nervous around them--it's been like exposure therapy!) I would be really interested to hear if anyone has knowledge about this. Thanks in advance,

Soccermom
soccermomof3

Re: Spraying for Spiders

Postby davefrombc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Pyrethrins are very toxic to fish. Although generally safe for humans and pets if used in proper dosages; cats are more sensitive to them than people or dogs.

Pyrethrins are probably the safest of the insecticides for people and pets; but not for aquatic life.
I'd be more inclined to use insecticides in a spot spray at home where needed and pass on a pest control company doing one of their " kill all" treatments... Unless there is a stabilizing agent used, which might bring up other problems, pyrethrins break down fairly quickly , so there would be very little longer term protection from the creepy spidies infesting the house and area.
Personally , I keep fish and pets. I occasionally go around and evict spiders and their webs , but don't use any insecticidal sprays.
a long tube on your vacuum cleaner hose makes a great way of sucking up the webs and spiders high and low. If it is a bagged type , just toss the bag after the spider hunt.. Bagless ones can be emptied where the spiders can't escape back to the house, or maybe a short spray of insecticide into the hose of the running vac will kill them before you empty it.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby orchidguy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:49 pm

davefrombc wrote:a long tube on your vacuum cleaner hose makes a great way of sucking up the webs and spiders high and low. If it is a bagged type , just toss the bag after the spider hunt.. Bagless ones can be emptied where the spiders can't escape back to the house, or maybe a short spray of insecticide into the hose of the running vac will kill them before you empty it.

That is genius Dave. I have had three of those humongous "dock" spiders again this year (only 1 was very large ) and have even bought a can of Raid, to get them with, but unfortunately, every time I have seen one, the Raid was nowhere to be found, so had to smush them with an old shoe. Now, I love the idea of sucking them up with the vacuum, but am worried the big ones will grab the hose from me and use it as just another weapon (along with those disgusting fangs) :lol: Honest, I am not paranoid, but when I can hear them walking on the wood or stone floors, you know there's got to be some weight to them
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Chelsea » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:41 pm

lol...Orchidguy...I agree with you. The spiders seem to be BIGGER this year and in abundance.

The only non-organic weapons I use is against spider and yellow jackets. I've had to spray the outside of the house and all the sheds or else they would be totally enveloped in spider webs. Yuk

They are also making their way into the house... :shock:
We all have our flaws; no one is perfect.
Chelsea

Return to Insect/Weed Control