Red Lily Beetle

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Red Lily Beetle

Postby orchidguy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:56 pm

After all these years of listening to people talk about the dreaded red lily beetle, and stating I had never even seen one in this garden, .....well that tune has changed. I had ordered many, many lilies this year, and was lucky(?) to get an end of season sale at a local nursery on about 72 potted lilies. They ended up costing about 40 cents a plant, and all I could think of was...BONUS....until I got home and started unloading them from the vehicle. Well to my amazement, while unloading this cargo (about the third pot), I noticed this little bugger on one of the lilies. I took a picture of it, and surfed the net trying to identify it, and sho nuff....was indeed the red lily beetle.

I shoved everything back in the vehicle, and took them to the garage, where they were all placed in huge plastic bags and all sprayed. After about 2 weeks saw nothing, so slowly acclimatized them to the outdoors again, and after going over each one with a "fine toothed comb" noticed nothing, so proceeded to plant them.

I have not seen any since, but does anyone have an idea of its life cycle? Should I have seen others by now, or would any eggs that might be on the plants hatch only in the spring ?
I thank you for any advice in advance
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Re: Red Lily Beetle

Postby OGrubber » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Bummer!
Don't know anything about the red lily beetle in particular, but typically if there are any egg masses in the soil, they won't hatch out until conditions are optimum - warming soil and lengthening daylight - or whatever their particular trigger is.
Sounds like you might have nipped the problem in the bud, and maybe there was only the one little bugger, but I'd keep a close eye out come Spring anyway, and be prepared to deal with any escapees.
Best of luck!!
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby Chelsea » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Like OGrubber said: "Don't know anything about the red lily beetle in particular, but typically if there are any egg masses in the soil, they won't hatch out until conditions are optimum - warming soil and lengthening daylight - or whatever their particular trigger is."

I'm hoping you got rid of them but if you planted your lilies with the old soil attached, there still might be some of those Red Lily Beetles hiding in soil.

I hope not! :(
We all have our flaws; no one is perfect.
Chelsea

Postby orchidguy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:53 am

I haven't seen any since, and that was in the first part of July. I discarded all the soil from the plants, and washed the roots/bulbs in an insecticidal soap. Keeping my fingers crossed that I did not introduce any critters into the gardens
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Chelsea » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:51 pm

I was keeping my fingers crossed in hope you washed the soil away from the roots. Then I thought, hey, Dan's a great gardener and he would have thought of that. Of course :)
We all have our flaws; no one is perfect.
Chelsea

Return to Insect/Weed Control