Diatomaceous earth

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Diatomaceous earth

Postby Andrea » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:50 am

Does anyone use this for insect control.I have read about it and there are some videos on youtube showing how to use it.They say it works especially on the japanese beetles,but then again they say that about every product.I was just wondering if anyone uses it with good results.
Andrea

Re: Diatomaceous earth

Postby OGrubber » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:15 am

I use DE alot.
It's effective against many pest, as long as you catch [see] them when they are still in the worm/grub stage. It cuts their "skin" or their gut, and they dry out.

Don't expect instant death, because it does take a few days, and DE needs to be re-applied after a rain or if there is a lot of dew in the morning.

Doesn't work so great for the hard shelled bug stage.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby Andrea » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:35 am

This is what I wanted to know,thanks so much.So the food grade DE is what I should buy? I saw 2 ways to apply,one is dry applied to damp leaves using a baby powder type bottle,or mixing it with water in a spray bottle.I also read to apply a ring of it around the outer edge of the soil in containers.I guess it wouldn't hurt to do that anyway.So nice to talk to people who actually use products that work,saves money and time.Thanks Inge!
Andrea

Postby OGrubber » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:10 am

Yes, food or horticultural grade - probably the same thing - is what you want. Don't get the stuff that gets used for pools. That is mixed with other chemicals and filler and what not.

Wet is easier to get to the underleaf areas. I think it will probably bung up a hand pump mister/sprayer, though. I use one of those hose attachment sprayers. You will need to shake now and again to keep the DE from settling.

Dry is better for delicate plants [ie young seedlings] and where the pest is concentrated on top, such as cauliflower/cabbage.

I don't know a lot about the container usage aspect - you're on your own there. laf
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby Andrea » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:47 pm

I will have to see what works best for me,can try different things.As most of my gardening will be containers,I do have rose bushes in a small garden out front that were really eaten up by the bugs last year,just don't want a repeat this year.I will be prepared for my early attack on them,lol Thanks again.
Andrea

Return to Insect/Weed Control