mice/moles

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

mice/moles

Postby OGrubber » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Just cleaning up my desk area and discovered a note I'd made to myself about rodent control [must have read it somewhere, sometime through the winter months].

I usually use snap traps baited with peanutbutter which works pretty good, except I have to cover them with big upside-down flower pots weighed down with bricks to keep the dogs and the cats from getting accidentally "snapped". Which means the pots are scrap after that, since I have to cut holes into them so the rodents can get in there. And, I have to set up quite a few - a lot - of trap stations, especially in the greenhouse.

Anyway, was wondering - before I dash out and buy a bag of cement - whether anyone had tried mixing dry cement with cornmeal to leave out as bait for mice/moles and how it had worked for you.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Re: mice/moles

Postby BBQ » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Look at this link Inge. Sounds easy enough - and you're not queasy with the resulting bucketful of drowned mice! Could be put into a closed-off area that the mice/voles can still access easily but not your cats or dogs.
~BBQ
http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Re: mice/moles

Postby OGrubber » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:26 am

Hey, Brenda!
Great to see you.

Yes, we use that system in the barn. Not too grizzly if you check daily.
Was kind of hoping for a "set it under a bench and forget about it" option, which is why I asked about the cement bait.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Return to Insect/Weed Control