Get this!

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Get this!

Postby HeidiPG » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:26 pm

I was just in the greenhouse to check on the tomatoes remaining in progress and I have signs of slugs (itty bitty ones here) and a lovely ripe tomato had a path chewed in the skin almost completely around the 3 incher.

This slug has climbed into a greenhouse, up a cedar planting box and up a stem to about 3 ft above ground to get at this dear tomato - wiley villian!

I am not happy and may well have to shut down the greenhouse shortly anyway - continuing cool weather and expensive to heat. But slugs were not on my radar and in 8 years of operating it, never seen one inside and doing damage before.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Re: Get this!

Postby orchidguy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Wow Heidi.....I've never had a slug problem in the gh, but there are quite a bit of tree frogs and toads in there, so maybe that is why
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby OGrubber » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:24 am

It's not inconceivable, I suppose. Anything that's outside, sooner or later manages to get inside, I've found.
I remember being totally shocked when I found an aphid colony on some plants at the far end of the gh - an area that dries out much quicker than the rest of the house.

The growhouse on the other hand is just the same as the great outdoors except for the plastic cover. Crickets, slugs, grasshoppers, oh my!
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby Lizzy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Betty used to say, get a Duck.

Now if only my greenhouse was big enough to house a duck, I'd do it like a shot. My greenhouse is small, has a dirt floor, and boy do I get slugs here.

Aphids too...depending on the weather, and if they feel like it.

Lucky lucky Orchidguy...Psst, wanna sell me a nice little tree frog?
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby HeidiPG » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:59 pm

And there was another chewed ripe tomato this morning - I plucked it and cut off the chewed part and roasted it with others. I am loving this roasting method of keeping these big tomatoes as the crop continues to ripen. I have several containers frozen for later. Yummy. I shall have to put down some slug bait, when I figure out where I put it.
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Postby Lizzy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:34 pm

You are certainly going to have one grand winter, Heidi!
Lizzy

Postby HeidiPG » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:38 pm

won't be enough roasted tomatoes for the winter but if I use them carefully, they will add a lovely shot of flavour now and then!
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Postby Lizzy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:46 pm

You are cooking for a family, I just have to cook for me...he has lost his sense of taste and smell and requires much more herbs/spices than I am willing to add to the community pot. So, frequently we each cook only for ourselves, and that way we both enjoy the eating!
Lizzy

Postby Kelly » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:58 am

Forget Slug bait...use beer...cheaper and easier.......in a low container. works like a charm.
Kelly

Postby HeidiPG » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:10 am

I found him the other day - in the hanging basket of tumbler tomatoes, about 1 inch and a bit long. He got hurled out the door and stood on. Industrious fellow, he had climbed the trellis for the cucumbers and along the support for the hanging baskets.

And today is the last day of the greenhouse being heated for the tommytoes - I am picking the rest and shutting her down. Got down to about - 5 last night and there are just about 10 tomatoes in varying stages of ripening so it isn't worth keeping going anymore. I guess this is the end of the veggie garden for this year.

No, wait I have to dig up the leeks too...
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Return to Insect/Weed Control