Japanese Beetle

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Japanese Beetle

Postby Durgan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:59 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HKSUW 17 July 2013 Japanese Beetle
The Japanese Beetle (Popillia japonica) skeletonizes the leaves of my grape vines. I have also seen a few on the potato plants in small numbers. They appear every year, certainly over the last three years.This year they are rather sparse and appear ill fed. My local control is to flip them off the vines into a pail of water, or simply squash between thumb and forefinger,or shake the vines on a windy day and they disappear.They are poor flyers.The damage is acceptable if they are not left to feed. They can skeltonize the grape leaves in an afternoon, since they are often in large numbers. Fifty to one hundred is not uncommon. Birds eat many when in the white grub stage.
Durgan

Re: Japanese Beetle

Postby conniepr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:10 pm

I haven't seen those ones, but I have seen something in my yard that is similar. A different color and they are squarer at the front (color is flat black with maybe some red flecks). About the same size as those. They don't look like those lily beetles that people talk about that I haven't had yet, thank goodness. Tried to find out what beetle I'd seen but couldn't find it on Google. They are gone now, so I guess I won't worry about it.
Connie
conniepr

Postby Lizzy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 pm

According to a bird site I was reading last week, Starlings really go for the Japanese beetles.

I always have Starlings, year round...I have yet to see a Japanese beetle...however, perhaps I am just lucky.

No lily beetles either. But I do have the dreaded daylily critter that leaves buds swollen and decaying, and eventually, I destroyed the plants as they affected blossom in the late summer as well.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby HeidiPG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi Liz,

As far as I could find out last year, Japanese Beetles have not crossed the Rockies into BC from eastern Canada. I checked this out during my master gardener class and the BC Ministry of Ag said not here.

What got me thinking about it, was in Home Depot we got Japanese Beetle traps for sale in the store, and I wondered what these were for - and I found out they are shipped despite the fact that BC doesn't have them..... Dumb big box stores!
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Heidi...what happens if I get some in a shipment from the east?

I've always been nervous about plant exchanges...seeds are FINE...but anything else...no.

Little bitty pots in soil, and goodness knows what is in the soil.

I wish folks would/could post pictures, too...when they find something.

Pls note, I did NOT take pictures of the creatures in my bathroom.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Return to Insect/Weed Control