Japanese Beetles aagh

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Japanese Beetles aagh

Postby Mike in Greely » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:41 pm

About a month ago i started seeing these Image on my roses, and little holes on the leaves, buds and flowers, i knocked them off and did'nt think much more about them, then i noticed more and more of them, on the roses, raspberries, morning glories, and they were doing one of 2 things eating and destroying all the flowers and leaves or having sex. It got to the point that i better get something to kill them off tried a few things talcum powder a insecticide nothing seemed to work. Did some research on internet and they suggested getting a Japanes Beetle trap, something to do with putting pheromones in a container and they are attracted by this and fall into the container, the biggest problem is that it attracts then from all over the place, your neighbours across the street etc. and once your container is full you then have to kill them all as the pherone does'nt do that. So went to the next suggestion and that is hand pick them and drop them in a soapy solution of water and a drop of dish soap, they die very quickly. Unfortunately they still keep coming they now are attacking my 4 o'clocks. evey time i walk around with my container i must knock off at least a 100 at a time and i do this 4/5 times a day.
Supposedly they are only around for about a month and then they lay their eggs in the grass unfortunately when they hatch they bury themselves in the soil and start eating the grass roots.

Does anyone else have any suggestions to get rid of these, i have heard from a number of people in the Ottawa area about this bug.
Mike in Greely

Re: Japanese Beetles aagh

Postby orchidguy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:13 pm

Mike,
I've never encountered them before so can only go by what other gardeners have stated.

Neem oil is effective on mature beetles, and if you spray affected plants every 2 weeks from the beginning of July to mid August, you can kill the adults. Unfortunately, they fly long distances to obtain food, so this could be a challenge. Neem oil also will kill other beneficial insects in the process, so that is a choice you would have to make. I've never used it, so this is just what other gardeners have used.

Tachnid flies, spiders and some birds are natural predators of Japanese beetle, and ducks and geese relish them.

Something I have used is cedar oil, both on plants and on my skin to deter blackflies and on trees affected by Japanese pine beetles. This is sprayed on the plant itself, and acts as a deterrent to a lot of insects. It doesn't kill them, but is used as more of a preventative measure, but I do know insects definitely do not like to be around it.

Milky spore can be used to specifically kill Japanese beetle grubs, and if memory serves me right, I believe Lowes carried this at one time.

Good luck to you Mike
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby HeidiPG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi Mike, I have never had anything like this problem here in northern BC, but I have a cousin who runs a garden centre in Ottawa area called Green Thumb Garden Centre. Mary (cousin) suggested things on their facebook page recently that I noticed, so my ears perked up when you mentioned this here.

Perhaps you know her business? I know she is a very well qualified person and knowledgeable about the Ottawa and environs area. Best of luck, I don't envy you that pest problem at all!
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Mike in Greely » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Hello Heidi thanks for that, must admit i had'nt heard of that Garden Centre, i found a few Facebook pages for them but see nothing about pests, last entry i could find was from back in June.
Mike in Greely

Postby OGrubber » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Mike,
Chiming in as someone who has never had to deal with this pest before, however, on checking in some of my manuals milky spore or releasing predatory nematodes into the soil will help take care of the grubs. I know this solution won't do a thing for this years problem but might help against a repeat for next year.

What I do know from experience, is that eliminating as many of the adult numbers this year means that there will be less of the potential population to deal with next year. So... keep shaking down the adults until you find a better solution.

Also as an afterthought - I'm not personally a big fan of pheromone traps because as you already noted, they do attract in pest from from other areas.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby HeidiPG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:16 am

HI Mike, It could be for people who 'friend' them first.

Green Thumb Garden Centre added 3 new photos.
26 July at 20:51 ·

Tuesday's Tidbit : The Japanese Beetle plague is upon us once more! Arm yourself with a bucket of soapy water to drop them into or if you're up to it designate an old pair of gloves to a new pinching project. We'll keep you posted for when nematode season comes around but in the meantime, man your stations!

further in comments (excerpted):

Cat:

can't nematode be applied as long as the ambient temperature does not drop below 15 C?

Green Thumb Garden Centre:

You are absolutely right that nematodes can be used to deal with grubs eating the roots of your lawn or plants. We recommend you wait until the grubs are at a certain stage of their development (what's called the 3rd instar) to ensure maximum eating by the nematodes. We follow the Guelph Turf Institute to get the timing right.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Mike in Greely » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks for that Heidi.
Mike in Greely

Postby Mike in Greely » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm still picking these little soinso's off my roses, morning glories and now Dahlia's, averaging about a 100 a day, i drop them in a jar with water and take them and throw them in the lake for fishy food :D
Mike in Greely

Return to Insect/Weed Control