Invasive Vine

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Invasive Vine

Postby soccermomof3 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm wondering if anyone knows the identity of this vine, and if you have any hints on how to control it. The first picture shows it covering a wild rose plant, while the second shows it covering the lower levels of a birch tree. The third pic shows a wall of it growing alongside the road, and the last shows how it can completely cover whole trees. We have some on our property and try to pull/cut it out when we can, but it is in some of the wilder, harder-to-reach areas, and we're worried it could really have an impact on the trees and other bushes. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soccermomof3

Re: Invasive Vine

Postby orchidguy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:37 pm

It looks like a wild grape, called Vitis riparia . It is known by the names of Manitoba grape, riverbank grape or frost grape.

Their grapes are great for jams, jellies and wine, and they are used as a rootstock for more tender grapes. I keep a couple here, but away from flower beds or copses of trees, and have been designated to climbers for a few of the outbuildings, which they cover nicely,

Hope this helps, and let us know if that's what this is
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Re: Invasive Vine

Postby soccermomof3 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:22 pm

The foliage of these vines does seem to look the same as vitis riparia, but it does not get fruit, nor the fluffy flowers (?) that I saw in some pictures.
soccermomof3

Return to Insect/Weed Control